The GATE Grind

GATE Classical Mechanics: rigid body dynamics: inertia tensor, orthogonal transformations, Euler angles, torque free motion of a symmetric top – Previous Year Questions

5 GATE previous year questions on rigid body dynamics: inertia tensor, orthogonal transformations, Euler angles, torque free motion of a symmetric top (Classical Mechanics, Physics) with answers and explanations, from every paper.

  1. GATE 2023 PH Q41 (2 marks, Multiple choice) – A symmetric top has I 1=I 2=2/3, I 3=2 and no applied force. Its angular speed about the 3-axis is 3=1/8 rad/s. With what angular frequency in rad/s…
  2. GATE 2026 PH Q49 (2 marks, Multiple choice) – Two frames S (solid lines) and S′ (dashed lines) with common origin are shown in the figure below. Frame S is inertial while S′ is rotating about the…
  3. GATE 2026 PH Q55 (2 marks, Multiple select) – A symmetric rigid body has moment of inertia I1, I2, I3 about its principal axes 1, 2, and 3, respectively, with I1 = I3 = I⊥ and I2 ≠I⊥. It is…
  4. GATE 2026 PH Q65 (2 marks, Numerical answer) – A 15 cm long scale is held horizontally with one of its ends on the edge of a 1 m high table and the other end resting on one’s index finger. As the…
  5. GATE 2025 PH Q64 (2 marks, Numerical answer) – A wheel of mass 4M and radius R has mass 3M uniformly on its thin rim and point mass M at its center. Massless spokes join them. Its center is…